Vodarevu is about 8 Km from Chirala Railway station. This region of Andhra was once a part of Vijaynagar empire from 1350 to 1565. after the defeat of Vijaynagar army in the battle of Talikota on 23rd January 1565, the Sultan of Golconda occupied the region which ultimately came under Nizam of Hyderabad and remained under Nizam of Hyderabad and remained under him till he merged it with the Indian Union after Independence.
Vodarevu is minor port with fishing being the only activity. The port remained largely neglected after the British East India Co. developed ports at Machilipatnam and Cocanada(Kakinada)
A flag mast erected on shore in the past served as a beacon for fishing boats. With the emphasis on improvement of infrastructure on the coastline, the port here started getting attention. So the need arose for a modern lighthouse. The construction of 30m RCC tower was taken up in January 2002 and completed in March 2002 by using the Slip from method for the first time for lighthouse towers in India. The optical equipment of Chance Bros., UK origin available in the Lighthouse Workshop was installed on the tower and lighthouse was commissioned into service in March 2002