Krishnapatnam lighthouse is about 30 Km from Nellore Railway station. The lighthouse is situated on the northern banks of river Kandeleru (also known as Upputeru) and quite close to krishnapatnam Port. It was a busy port till 1960’s. Kandeleru river has appreciable depth of water and is connected to Buckingham canal which was the main link for transportation of cargo to madras in the by gone period.
A lighthouse trestle was raised in 1983 on the south bank of Kandeleru river entrance. A wick Lamp was exhibited from the trestle which was replaced by a battery operated lamp in 1965. This light was discontinued following heavy erosion and damage to the structure in 1970’s.
The present Lighthouse tower was constructed during 1976-78 and the optical equipment with 1500w, 100V incandescent lamp, supplied by M/s J.Stone India, Calcutta, was installed on it. The lighthouse was commissioned into service in May 1978.
The radio Beacon equipment, supplied by M/s MACE, Visakhapatnam, was installed and put on the Air June 1991. The DGPS equipment manufactured by M/s Leica Geo Systems, U.S.A was integrated in April 2003 converting radio Beacon to DGPS station. The old transmitters were replaced by 500 W ‘Nautel GPS 1000’ Canada make in July 2004. The incandescent lamp 1500W 100V of main light and emergency light were replaced by a cluster of three 150W 230V Metal Halide lamps in August 2004.