Hazira Lighthouse is linked to Surat city, 35 km away by a metalled road. Surat was a busy port till 18th century. It had trade links with most of the ports of the world. In 17thcentury the British and Dutch obtained permission from Emperor Jehangir to build their kothis on the outskirts of Surat and do business. Soon afterwards French, Arabs, Turks, Armenians and Jews were also permitted to stay and do business at Surat.
Incidentally, Kerridge was the first British to land in India at Surat in 1612 followed by Sir Tomas Roe in1614-then came Dutch Van den Broeck in 1616 and French Admiral Beaulieu in 1620. Surat was the most prosperous town during 16/17th century-Portuguese plundered Surat in 1512 and1530-31 and Marathas in 1664 and 1670.
A number of masts and log fires at selected points guided the vessels to enter Tapti up to early 19th century. A circular masonry Lighthouse Tower 20 m high was constructed close to Vaux’s tomb in 1835-36 at Hazira then known as Suwali point. An optical apparatus with petromax inside was put on the tower in April 1836. The equipment was completely destroyed due to fire accident in October 1836. It took an year to carry out repairs and re-exhibit the light in Sept.1837.The Lighthouse was improved in 1852 and again in 1893.In 1938 P.V. Light with revolving optic assembly supplied by M/s. Chance Bros., Birmingham, replaced the old equipment.
A new 25m circular masonry Tower was constructed in 1965-66. The Electrical optical equipment with gensets supplied by B.B.T., Paris, was installed on it. The new light was exhibited on 1st June 1966. The refurbished MACE Racon was installed on the Lighthouse on 25thMarch1998 The incandescent lamp was replaced by 230V 400W Metal halide lamp on 30th November 1999. A new DGPS station will be located at Hazira.