Puri is known internationally for Lord Jagannath temple and the annual Rath yatra. The Jagannath temple was constructed in 1150 AD by the king Anantaverma Chodgang. Puri is the Rail terminus providing direct trains to all major cities. The LIGHTHOUSES is situated about 8 km west of Railway station.
The first ever light at Puri was a wick lamp which was placed on the parapet wall of the Circuit house building in 1877. A raised masonry pedestal was built in to the parapet wall in the year 1887 and a new wick lamp with 5th order optic was placed on it. In 1908 occulting flashing system was introduced. The DA gas flashing light replaced the earlier version in 1925. Subsequently when electric mains supply was extended to the Circuit house in 1949 an electric lamp in a 300 mm optic & lantern was installed in place of the old equipment.
When a new building was constructed for the Circuit house a 500 mm lantern of B.B.T. make with 12V 100W twin filament lamp was installed on a 10 m high GI trestle tower fitted on the roof of new Circuit house building. The equipment was commissioned on 1st December 1956. This equipment was replaced by 200 mm moulded glass lantern with electronic flasher operating on Batteries charged by SPV modules on 31st March 1996.
A new Lighthouse tower with powerful revolving light was in the mean time planned which was ready in August 2002 on which the equipment supplied by M/s Ana Nav Aids, New Delhi, was installed. The new lighthouse was commissioned on 31st December 2002.