Shialbet Lighthouse is situated on Savaibet islet separated of by a creek from its mother island of Shialbet opposite Pipavav port. Approach to Shialbet lighthouse is by a machine boat to be engaged from Pipavav port which is connected to coastal highway by a 10 km link road and by a BG rail to national rail way system.
This region comprising Chanch, Shialbet, Pipavav and Rajula formed part of Bhavnagar state prior to independence. Bhavnagar state had in 1920 developed port Albert Victor on Chanch creek. A lighthouse was also built along with on Chanch point. It was decommissioned in1967 when the Lighthouse at Shialbet started functioning.
Along with the lighthouse a baffle wall for fog signal was also constructed on Savaibet islet. The installation of equipment for the main light, auxiliary light & fog signal, power generating diesel units, all supplied by M/s BBT, Paris was completed in March 1967 and the station was commissioned into service on 31st March 1967.The auxiliary light with red sector has been provided at a lower level on the same tower. The fog signal was discontinued in 1988.
The emergency light source operating on DA gas was replaced by halogen lamp operating on battery on 19th February 1994 and the direct drive by stepper motor was introduced on 24th July 1996. The Racon (MACE origin) transmitting code ‘M’ was installed on the tower on 29th October 1999.