Ghoga is connected to Bhavnagar by a 20 km metalled road. It is one of India’s oldest ports in service. According to legend prince Vijay Sinh of Sinhpur (present day Shihor-Bhavnagar) sailed from here in 543 BC with his army to Simhala (Srilanka) where he won over the local tribes, married their princess and ruled the island.
Ghoga was most prosperous port as such attracted invaders all through-first Arabs attacked in 677 AD followed from time to time by others.-finally Peshwa took control toward the end of 18th century. The British took over Ghoga in 1803.Upto the 18th century bulk of cargo coming from Malabar, South-east Asia etc used to be unloaded at Ghoga and then dispatched to different ports and hinterland destinations. This gives an idea of volume of traffic that Ghoga port handled in that period of history. With the development of port of Bhavnagar, marine activities at Ghoga got curtailed.
Although records speak of a conventional light exhibited from a mast erected near the custom house in 1856, there was a system of flag signaling existed since centuries whenever crafts were expected. Subsequently area south of main channel was reclaimed and a protection wall was constructed around it for establishing a lighthouse. In 1887 an iron structure was erected at the new site and a lantern with wick lamp and Red filter was placed on it. A dioptric optic of 6th order was introduced in 1903. In the year 1936 a masonry tower was constructed and the light was shifted on to this tower.
A new Lighthouse tower was built in 1961 to install a major DA gas equipment supplied by BBT Paris. The new light was put in to operation on 1st August 1961.The DA gas equipment was replaced by electronic flasher (JLWL-Dhoomketu) and incandescent lamp of 230V 1000W. The system was put into operation on 6th March 1993.
Ghoga lighthouse provides logistic support to Piram Island lighthouse and is also the base for ML Piram.